My continuing work on the 'silence' brief and my initial idea of looking at the silent thoughts in people's heads has led me to look at people's fears that are silent, fears that people have that we are not aware of...this can be linked to our subconscious; the part of our mind that we are not really aware of but can influence our 'silent fears.' Some of my initial visualizations of silence were around the idea of shadows and how they can represent something about you that others are not aware of and in this context can represent our thoughts or fears.
I took a trip home for the weekend and in my quest to be more experimental with my work and not just go straight to the computer I decided to experiment with taking my own photographs and incorporate text within them. Typography is an area of great interest to me and so is something I definitely want to incorporate into this project. Looking at how to represent our silent fears got me thinking about the context in which these fears could be represented, places that we think of as 'scary.' I live out in the country and close by is an old derelict farm that has been abandoned for years. I thought this would be a great place to photograph to help visualize the idea of fears....so my dad and I went to the house armed with torches, candles and my camera - like I expected in the pitch black it was a very scary place!
Being in there and seeing how everything had been left got me thinking about how this had once been somebodies home and it would be full of old, silent memories personal to those who had once lived there.....there was an eery silence about it. Being such an old place the silence in there itself created a sense of fear for me as the rooms were dark and any slight noise sent your imagination into overdrive, being in an empty dark space did give me ideas of how to visualize fears and also realise what some of the fears could be. I did manage to capture some quite good shots with some great shadows that will work well to represent 'fear.'
Below are some of the photographs I took in there...
The next set of photographs show the contrast of the same place from night to day...
I was hoping by going in the day as well I would be able to capture some of the shadows projected into the empty space as I had been looking at similar images in my initial research....disappointingly the light cast into the rooms was not as good as I thought it would have been so the daytime photographs do not fully show what I wanted them to but I do think certain images when combined with type can be used to portray the idea of silent memories lost within the empty rooms. I still feel a little lost with where I am going with this project but I do feel I am being more experimental....
No comments:
Post a Comment