Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Panic?!?

A great opportunity has come up for us as a year group, to hold an exhibition at NoiseLab in the town centre. A brief has been set and I started experimenting with a few ideas which I will post soon. Alongside this there was an opportunity to create branding and promotional material for the exhibition, all of which is based around the theme 'Panic' - a hint to how we will start to feel very soon, rapidly nearing the end of our course.

So I thought I would have a go at creating a brand identity and promotional material for the exhibition...even if it doesn't get picked, it is another finished brief for my portfolio and review! Having a quick turn around time and not wanting to spend to long on the project, I spent a few hours brainstorming ideas and doing a bit of research and quite quickly, decided on an idea. Being aware of the quick deadline I chose my best idea and have just run with it...not normally something I would do but it hasn't worked out too badly! Overall I have spent about a day and a half producing the work and I am quite pleased with what I have managed to produce.

Keeping in mind that the exhibition is a celebration of our work as a course, I didn't want the branding to be too specific to any one discipline, and hopefully I have created a graphic that reflects the theme without being too obvious. My idea and concept is based around the idea of panic leading to 'losing control.' The graphic I have created, uses concentric circles, these are used to represent the idea of being in control, the circles are evenly spaced and sized and give the idea of control. As the circles reach the outer edges they begin to become more erratic and distorted, and thus become 'out of control.' I chose the colour palette based on colour's picked from the current Art School branding...purple being the colour used to highlight Graphic design on the homepage.




Invitation

Flyer variations
Poster - layout alternative


I also tested the design in a range of other different bright colours, so could be used as a variation...print a set of flyers and invites in a range of different colours? I also think the graphic could work nicely on its own within the exhibition space.

No comments:

Post a Comment