Tuesday, 2 March 2010

New projects...

I can't actually believe how fast this term is going....life as a student is almost over!! Athough I feel I am ready to leave education the thought of it really scares me....for the first time I don't know what I am going to be doing come June when we finish this course. I have no school or university to come back to in September...what a scary thought!

So I have been busy working away on my next set of briefs - as I previously posted my new brief is a celebration of language in it's local forms, accents and dialects. Coming from Yorkshire this is was my initial choice of dialect to work with, below are my experiments and final piece for part one of this project. My initial intention was to have this as a short brief however there is so much to explore and experiment with within the area of language and communication that it has now turned into to a much bigger project of which the second part has begun...

Variaitons of words and phrases in different dialects - it means the same thing however you say it, but there can be many variaitons.

Playing with the legibility of the words - when people speak in their 'local dialect' it can be be very difficult for people from other areas to understand what they are saying - the illegibility of the phrase below helps to express the idea of misunderstanding and difficulty in interpreting a message.


Overlaying variations of words and phrases - each colour used represents a different dialect, however they all mean the same thing.
Along with many more experiments, the piece below is my final piece for part one of this brief - "A celebration of the vernacular of York.sha!" I have recently designed packaging for this double sided A3 poster, and see it being sold as a kind of souvenir of yorkshire - so in shops and places around the yorkshire area. I love the chance this brief is giving me to be more experimental with typography...I have definitely realized this is the area of working in which I love most...



No comments:

Post a Comment