Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Helen Murgatroyd - Drawing & Printmaking

"the idea itself, if not made visible is as much a work of art as the finished product itself."

Ex D&AD student Helen Murgatroyd came in to talk to us abut her time studying at university and what she's upto now at the Royal College of Art, studying Printmaking. I have heard Helen's name mentioned quite a few times throughout my time on our course so it was nice to meet her and listen about how she approached third year and see the style of work she produces. I remember seeing the mapping work she did for her degree show back in first year. Helen's work is very illustrative and experimental and I have to admit it's not really my cup of tea, but it did show how third year really is very personal to each of us and it is upto us how we approach our work and the briefs we decide to work on. Helen spoke about her time in third year experimenting 'mapping' things she did as this was something that interested her and is a subject that is still influencing the work she is doing now at the Royal college. You could tell Helen is really passionate about the work she produces and this shows in how experimental she has been working with the basis of mapping and how many final solutions can be produced. I have a very different style of working to Helen and much prefer to know where my work is going. I think the Silence project has seen me produce much more experimental work with one idea. A good piece of advice from her was that sometimes the ideas that don't make it to being a final design can be just as successful as the final piece itself.

Commissioned work: 'Cup', a tea and record shop in Manchester .


Accession for Topshop



Degree show work:




No comments:

Post a Comment