I feel I have neglected my blog for a while, being busy with assessment and getting back into the new term - over the past week or so I have been searching high and low for a new set of briefs to get stuck into. After assessment and getting my feedback, I know there are areas of my work to develop on, and there are areas I need to spend less time on and this is something I hope I can put into practice in this final term.
Typography and layout have always been areas of interest to me, it is always the typographic pieces that seem to catch my attention - having experimented with photography last term and in second year I have come to realize that is not one of my strongest areas and only having one term left I have decided to focus on other areas within my work. Don't get me wrong, I love photography and working with great images, but I am just not the person to take the image, I like to think once I get into industry I can work alongside a photographer and then wor with the photograph adding the type, working on the composition etc - they do what they are good at and I do what I am good at. I think having been on this course for the past two years, I am definitely not a concept and ideas led person....I get much more satisfaction from designing and presenting the final piece - I am all about producing the perfect finished design and making it "look good," so it truly reflects the idea and creates a great final piece. Maybe this is where I lose time during a project, spending too long making minor alterations and refining my idea - this was a criticism on my feedback that I over-refine my ideas which can cause the concept to get lost - although I am going to try, I can't help wanting my final piece to be as perfect as I can get it, thats just the way I am!
Getting back to the title of this blog entry, after reading through many, many briefs I finally came across a past istd brief that caught my eye...
"A celebration of language in it's local forms, how we use words to communicate, expressing the way we speak through typography - accents, dialect, the spoken word."
Being purely a typographic brief it is something that will give some diversity to my portfolio - everything I do from now on is all about my portfolio, what do I want to be in there??
The main element within this brief, is looking at how we use words to communicate effectively - looking at typography as a form of visual communication, representing vocal sounds through type, pronunciation, phonetic spellings and variations. I feel in some ways this links into my dissertation, although not directly as I looked at the use of shock within advertising, I was looking at the topic as a form of communication, how we as designers communicate with our target audience and the effect the use of such tactics can have. This brief is continuing elements of this in looking at how we communicate with words locally, and how this can be taken into a more commercial piece of design to communicate with the target audience and the response from them.
Having done my research (trying to keep this stage short to allow more time for experimentation) I am spending the whole next week experimenting with words and phrases so will post some of this up soon....
No comments:
Post a Comment