Saturday, 13 February 2010

Helicopter or vending machine?

On Friday I had my feedback session with Clinton to discuss the work I handed in for assessment. I was really pleased with the grade I was given and was glad my many late nights and hard work had paid off. Discussing the feedback Clinton had given me I did agree with the majority of it. I do spend far too long on my sketchbooks and this is definitely an area I can cut down on....however being a bit of a perfectionist this may be hard as I spend far too long making them look 'nice.'

The main aim of this next term is to produce work that I want to produce, what do I want in my portfolio come June?

- I need to pick briefs that enable me to learn and get where I want to be,
- make professional decisions
- be more decisive and make decisions quicker - not spend ages doing research!
- question myself - what am I trying to do? why am I doing it? how do I know when I get it right?

It's scary to think that this is the last term of university life and I do want to make my portfolio the best it can be, and showcase me as the best designer I can be.

As Alan Fletcher said...
Basically there are two kinds of designer:

Helicopters and vendingmachines.


The helicopters fly around the landscape,zooming in to investigate, backing off to get a better panoramic view.

On the other hand vending machines tend to be insert until someone shoves money in the slot.They then produce a lot of buzzing, whirring and clanking,until out pops a product.It is invariably the same as the previous one, and will be the same as the next.The only difference is the next is usually staler.

It is ok to have a certain style of work as long as I ensure I answer each brief individually and not take a previous design and apply it to the next brief. I like to think I produce something different for each brief I am set.

so which one am I?? hopefully the helicopter!

No comments:

Post a Comment