After a lot of hard work over the past few months, I now have a finished document for my silence project.The handmade book called, 'The house on Deeps Lane,' documents my visit to the abandoned, derelict house, taking the reader on a tour through the house with a series of my photographs, accompanied with my written thoughts and feeling whilst being in there.
During the time working on this brief, I have experimented with numerous different final solutions before reaching my final idea. Although initially I found this brief quite challenging, I now realise it has challenged me in a good way, making me be more experimental and not just jumping into creating a final piece. At times I did find this to be a struggle but eventually after a lot of mock-ups, prints, prints, prints and more prints I have reached my final design. Below are some images of my final hard-back book and a development piece of some of my photographs -

I experimented with a range of different paper stocks to print my photographs on and really like the effect the textured water colour paper gave to the images. As this is a heavy paper stock that was too thick to bind into my book I printed a selection of 6 images on to the paper as cards and made a folder to hold them as part of my development. I used some of the wallpaper inside the folder to continue the theme throughout.
The final book....
I have to say a massive thank you to Lucy May Schofield for her help on Monday! I am really pleased with finished piece, and can see a clear development from the mock-up I made before christmas. The book cloth used is the same colour as the front door to the house, giving the sense that you are entering the house. I made a tracing paper jacket to wrap around the book, on to which the title is printed. Tracing paper is used in the book and using it as a jacket helps to represent the idea of seeing through the house. The design I created hopefully paces the reader as they go through the book, with single words taken from my monologue, asking questions and making statements.







No comments:
Post a Comment